Bolivia borders with 5 countries. In this article, we have collected all the information from our experience and other sources so that you can take a bus from Bolivia to Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and easily cross the border if you travel by bus. At the time of 2018, Bolivia does not have budget airlines, so buses are good for budget travel.
On the place at the office at the bus station to buy tickets cheaper — on the Internet there are sites aggregators with cheat tickets. Here are 2 sites directly international companies, there are sales:
- From Bolivia to Peru
- From Bolivia to Chile
- From Bolivia to Brazil
- From Bolivia to Argentina
- From Bolivia to Paraguay
Outset that we were going in 2018 on the route from Puno (Peru), via the border town of Desaguadero in La Paz , and Bolivia went from Uyuni to Chile through the border crossing, Avaroa/Ollague. Unfortunately, we have stolen the phone and all the pictures of the schedules survived.
The rest of the information is taken from the Lonely Planet book, so we use the * sign for information that is not verified by us personally. Although “book” information, in most cases coincided with reality.
Many international buses from Bolivia to other countries go from the main bus station of La Paz (Terminal de buses La Paz ), we immediately write his address: autopista La Paz-El Alto & avenida Peru, not to be repeated.
From Bolivia to Peru
1. Direct buses (directo) from the main bus station of La Paz:
- there are buses to Lima with the cost of tickets 400-600 BOB ($50-80), 27 hours on the road, pass through Arequipa;
- to Cusco (Cuzco) 100-130 BOB ($15-18), about 12 hours on the road. As a rule, both routes follow through the bus station of the city of El Alto, where, most likely, the ticket price will be lower. El Alto can be reached by city bus or minibus directly from the centre in 1.5-2 boliviano;
- direct buses from La Paz to Puno from 80 boliviano, 4-6 hours on the way;
2. Direct buses from Copacabana to Lima, Cusco, Arequipa and other cities in Peru:
3. With changing (combiar) — with the change of transport on the interstate border. Buses and minibuses depart from the Cementerio General de La Paz main cemetery area to the border of Bolivia and Peru. The nearest cable car station to it — “Ajayuni” (red), as from the city center can be reached here by city buses “micro” and a huge number of city routes-collective for 1.5-2.0 BOB, for this look for the inscription on the windshield “Cementerio”.
- through the border town of Copacabana. This is convenient if you plan to visit the island of the Sun on lake Titicaca and from there to go to Peru. From La Paz to Copacabana, buses and Shuttle buses run 3-4 hours and cost 35 BOB ($5)per person and depart from calle Jose Maria Aliaga street, which is right in front of the cemetery, from 4 am to 7 PM every 30 minutes.
The border crosses freely on foot in the Bolivian village of Kasani — from the center of Copacabana just 9 km away, which can be reached by Collectivo (5 soles/$1.5), and then, after crossing the state border, another 2 km to the center of Yunguayo by tuk-tuk, taxi or on foot, as you wish.
From Yunguyo Puno to direct buses and taxis cost about 8 soles. Direct from Copacabana to Puno from 20 sol/$6.
- The cheapest way to get from La Paz to Puno (Peru) is with a changing through the border town of Desaguadero (Desaguadero).
Minibus on Desaguadero waiting at the intersection of calle Jose Maria Asin and calle Eyzaguirre. The cost is 15ВОВ, depart approximately every 20-30 minutes (by occupancy) from early morning until dusk, on the road, 2-2.5 hours.
Get off the Bolivian minibus, cross the border of Bolivia and Peru on foot about 2 km ( or by Bicycle/tuk-tuk for 3-5 boliviano) and take the Peruvian bus (7 soles) or minivan (11 soles), they go every 20-30 minutes from 3 nights to 22 evenings. This section of the road takes another 2-3 hours.
Minibuses go faster, buses are slower, of course. And the buses and taxis arrive at the Terminal sur bus terminal zonal in Puno. Also to the border of Bolivia and Peru and buses from the satellite city of La Paz — El Alto. The fare is somewhat lower — 10 BOB, but they are a little longer.
Along the way, do not forget to look into the Bolivian and Peruvian “Migracion” and put the stamp of departure//departure.
Since the border crossing is absolutely free, if you do not do it on your own initiative, in the future there will be problems with the police, especially when leaving Peru.
And on the Bolivian side and on the Peruvian side there are ATMs and exchangers.
From Bolivia to Chile
- *to Calama, to San Pedro de Atacama or to Antofagasta you can leave the city of La Paz from the main terminal on the international Bolivian bus; from potosí (Nueva terminal de buses, address: avenida las Banderas) or from Cochabamba (address: avenida Ayacucho );
- *to the cities of Arica and Iquique from the main bus station in La pass. All of them follow through the border crossing Tambo/Quemado.
- From Uyuni to Chile pass through there is no escaping nature and Olague (Ollague) in the Kalam or the Atacama , about this read more at the link.
From Bolivia to Brazil
- to border crossing Guayaramerin (Guajara-Mirim) buses go from La Paz via Rurrenabaqe. On the “bus” (there is on the maps.me) we could see the buses in these areas.
*Next to the Brazilian side you need to swim across the river on a multi-seater boat-collectivo (something like a water bus), they are called lunch, the price per person is 10 bolivianos, run from 6 am to 6 PM on average every 30 minutes.
You have to put a stamp in the passport office in Bolivia Guayaramerin (aveniva Costanera) and on the Brazilian side Guajara-Mirim (avenida QuintinaBocaiuva, hours of operation from 8 a.m. to 12, 2 to 5 PM).
- to the border of Bolivia and Brazil Cobija via Riberalta (200 boliviano from Rurrenabaque);
- in the Brazilian Pantanal (Pantanal), through the border town of Puerto Suarez or Quijarro, you can drive from Santa Cruz for 70 BOB ($70), in the bus 12 hours (from La Paz to the village of Cruz 90-170 boliviano$13-24, in a way of 17 hours).
From Bolivia to Argentina
- from La Paz to Buenos Aires by direct bus from the main bus station, the price of 650 BOB($93), on the road 48-50 hours;
- to Buenos Aires on a direct bus from Cochabamba, the ticket price is 550BOB($579), 72 hours (avenida Ayacucho );
- from Sucre to B — Aires have a bus at 13:30, 17:30 (address: calle Ostria Gutierrez/Guillermo Loayza);
- From Potosi to the capital of Argentina ticket price 650BOB;
- from Tarija to the boundary of the Villazón — Quiaca *;
- from Villazón from bus station (bus terminal) to the frontier point Villazon — La Quiaca*;
You can use*:
- La Paz — Tarija price 115-215 boliviano$16-31 in the bus 20 hours
- Cruz — Tarija 90-115 BOB, 24 hours
- La Paz — Tupiza 90 boliviano to$13, 20 h.
- Tarija — Tupiza from 15BOB? 2.5 hours
From Bolivia, leaving the country 20-50boliviano/$2-7. The border is open from 7 am to 23 PM*
From Bolivia to Paraguay
- from Santa Cruz there are direct buses to Paraguay’s capital Asuncion , ticket price 250000 Paraguayan Guarani/40am.dollars
- *from Tarija to Villamontes 40-50 BOB, drive 9 hours, then transfer to the border Fortin Infante Rivola
- from Sucre in Camiri 100 BOB (14 hours), then → Boyuibe → Eugenio
- From Santa Cruz to Camiri 30 bolivianos for 5-6 hours.
The information in this article about the international bus from Bolivia to Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay is not full to be sure. But let it be a hint for You and some guidelines to make your travel route in South America. We know that you are brave travelers.
It will be very cool and useful if you pass any of these ways and talk about it and complete the article. Also, if this article was useful to you when planning a trip or directly in your trip to Bolivia, we ask you to leave any comment, even if it is just a plus. You are difficult, and we are pleased.
2,273 total views, 2 views today